Jaunjelgava is one of the cities founded by the Duke of Courland. In 1590 Duke Friedrich Kettler granted Jaunjelgava city rights. In 1600 the Swedish-Polish war wiped the town from the face of the earth, in 1647 the duke's widow restored the town and granted it city rights, and in memory of the deceased husband, the duke's widow named the town Friedrichstadt.
Over time, Jaunjelgava has been called Sērene, Jelgaviņa, Lubu Jelgava, Jaunpilsēta and Jaunā Rīga. The history of Jaunjelgava dates back to the 13th century, when a settlement began to form near the Daugava waterway in Sērene instead of the Sērene Castle, which was destroyed.
In 1861, when the Riga-Daugavpils railway line was opened, Jaunjelgava lost its significance as a berth for the Daugava waterway. The town was often destroyed during wars, affected by plague, cholera epidemics, fires and floods on the Daugava. At the beginning of the 20th century, Jaunjelgava was the largest city in Latvia after Riga in terms of the size of its territory.
Most popular tourism objects in Jaunjelgava
Historical centre of Jaunjelgava town
National level historical monument (built in 17th-19th century) of town construction. In the historical center of Jaunjelgava you can see the churches, the memorial statue “Heroes of the War of Independence” and the monument of the first Minister of Transport and Labor of the Republic of Latvia Teodors Hermanovskis. Guided tours through Jaunjelgava. Tours book in advance.
Well-maintained walking trail on the bank of the Daugava (~2 km) with a playground for children, rest areas with benches, tables, campfire places and parking.
Memorial site of cliﬀ Staburags and Vīgante manor park
In Vīgante Park you can see the memorial sign “Dieva auss” dedicated to the flooded rock of Staburags, the sculpture “Daina”, the day lily garden, the Staburags meeting house with exhibitions. In Vīgante Park it is possible to visit P.Barisons’ gazebo, where there is information about the composer, his work, song festival tradition and it is possible to listen to the compositions created by the composer.
Vīgante, Staburags parish
Woodcraver P.Graudulis' house
The master’s works can be seen in the museum from the beginning to the present day. Apply for a visit in advance. The entrance for donations.
Jelgavas Street, Jaunjelgava
Struve Geodetic Arc point BRISTEN
In 2005, the circle of Struves was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as a unique system for the longest and most accurate geodesic measurements of the 19th century.
56 3452,60476, 25 21342700
Water tourism in Jaunjelgava
Excursions along the river Daugava on a barque “Vīgante”.
+371 28703102, +371 28490667
Tent place Gundegas
Offers SUP, boat rental on the bank of the river Daugava in Sece.
Water tourism center
Transfer services between Jaunjelgava and Skriveri. Excursions by boat “Balta Kaza”. Offers canoe, SUP, catamaran, water bicycles, raft; fishing boat rental.
Acommodation in Jaunjelgava
Holiday house “Piešupīte”
Staburags, Staburags parish
Tent recreation place “Vīgantes parks”
Recreation site “Lapsu ciems”
“Piparkalni”, Sece parish
Tent rest area on the bank of the Daugava “Gundegas”
“Gundegas”, Sece parish
Holiday house “Trīs istabas”
Lazdāres, Sērene parish
Guest house “Iecavnieki”
Iecavnieki, Sērene parish
Guest House “Rats”
Holiday houses “Kraujas”
“Balseri 2”, Daudzese parish
Guest house “Daugava”
Cafe “At Aigars”
Jelgavas iela 69, Jaunjelgava
Jaunjelgava school cafe “Citruss”
Uzvaras iela 1, Jaunjelgava
Cafe “Rudais Ūsiņš”
“Tiltnieki -2”, Sērene, Aizkraukle Municipality
Cafe “Garšu banka”
Jelgavas iela 37, Jaunjelgava
Jaunjelgava tourism information point
33 Jelgava Street, Jaunjelgava